Home Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Email BlogLovin Image Map

Friday, October 24, 2014

Five for Friday! {10.24.14}


  {Click on the picture above to head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching and view the Linky Party!}


Hey y'all!

Welcome to Friday...we made it... and my very first Five for Friday Link Up! This week has been a fun week full of many firsts. I am really getting into my routine in the blogging world and I am putting the finishing touches on a product I hope to roll out this weekend. Be on the lookout for a flash freebie...maybe? :) Let's get this party started!


FALLabulous Bulletin Boards
Fall is by far one of my favorite times of the year. Having the privilege to work in the primary grades makes this time even more special. While walking down the primary hall this week I stopped to take a picture of one of the Kindergarten bulletin board. This classroom is undeniably one of the coolest classrooms, and Mr. Gordon does an amazing job with all of his minions. His bulletin board transformed from Assemble the Minions at the beginning of the year to Assemble the Pumpkins for the kiddos' fall activities. The skills present on this display made me stop dead in my tracks. I hope you find the display as impressive as I did...

Fall Fun With Poetry


I would like to bring more poetry into my classroom, but I need ideas. I wrote this poem for my little sweeties when we started studying fall at the beginning of last week. I have been going crazy thinking about fun poetry activities to help them understand the concepts embedded in poems. I want my kiddos to have a love for reading all genres. What do you do with poetry in your classrooms?


Product Preview
I have been working hard on my SMARTIES math rotation pack. I started with a chalkboard background with a light blue theme and loved it. When I printed it, I realized I needed more POP and added frames then reprinted. Then I wanted some circles for the rotations instead of squares, so I made the changes and reprinted. The list keeps going...you get the picture. A LOT of ink and A LOT of cardstock. I really want this pack to be special and effective in any classroom. The students love these rounds and I even have a colleague incorporating them into her classroom now with the same results. I need more feedback to be sure it is everything teachers expect in a rotation management system. Provide some feedback on my page or email if you have ideas on what you are looking for in a rotation management pack! :)




Comprehension Challenges

What do you do with your children at home? My second grader is having difficulty with complex text questions and delving deeper into fictional text. We bough a Spectrum workbook from the local B&N that has been helping. We complete one page nightly, and believe me that takes A LOT of time. {This may or may not be because I require her to always find text evidence for every answer! :)} This is a special time for me and my little munchkin. It is like our own little guided reading session. We are able to have text conversations that I can make meaningful for her. It truly is my most special time of the day.


Time for your FREEBIE!

As a thank you for reading through my first Five for Friday I am offering a FREEBIE. Head on over to my TPT store and pick up your free set of Visual Directions. These cards are invaluable in my classroom. Use them to sequence events in your classroom and ensure students understand what they need to do to complete their assignments. I hope you enjoy them. If you want even more visual directions, please support my little store by purchasing the full pack. Link is on the freebie page. Click the image below to snag your freebie. ENJOY!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREEBIE-Visual-Directions-and-Activity-Sequencing-FREEBIE-1368708

{Click on the link above to go to my TPT store for your FREEBIE. Don't forget to follow my store!}







post signature

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on you first link up! I am your newest follower and also a second grade teacher. I can't wait to read more post. Thanks for sharing!!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for becoming a follower! I am really starting to get the hang of this, thanks to Dianna! I hope to have a lot more coming out for my sweet followers! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! What a great post!!! Your classroom looks AWESOME & I can't wait to see everything you are working on!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dianna! Although I think you may be biased! ;) Love you and all you have helped me with professionally. You are a great friend!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your first link-up! Great post! I also have a second grader that needs help with reading. We meet every afternoon at our kitchen table. :) Finding the evidence in the text is tricky. She's also learning that just because she read the passage she isn't finished. Reading is about soooo much more. Oh the joys of being a teacher momma. :)
    Joya
    ~liveloveserveteach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally just looked for a LIKE button. It is so hard for kiddos so young to understand some of the complex text talk we are throwing at them. All we can do is try, right? :)

      Delete